Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Wood Slat Star Mason Jar Wall Vase

I hope you are having a fabulous day so far!

I want to share this fun project that I've been working on.


These star mason jar wall vases have kind of evolved.

Originally I made three stars, using wood paint stir sticks.
(these stir sticks are sold at Wal-mart and are about as thick as a yard stick)
You can see details on how I made the stars here.


I used these stars as part of a display in my booth from Memorial Day through July 4th.
They worked well hanging in the window at the antique store,
but once the summer holidays were over I brought them home and tucked them away for next year.



Even though they were tucked away, I had been thinking about them.
So I pulled them out and decided to wrap natural jute twine around the five points.


I liked that look, it added a nautical feel, which definitely works for the summer months...
but, I wanted to add something more.
Something that might make them appealing year round.



I decided on a vintage mason jar.
I used a heavy gauge wire, that I wrapped around the mouth of the jar, 
to attach the jars to the stars.


I also used the wire to make a loop for hanging the stars.


Now the stars can hold fresh flowers or fresh herbs.
They would also look pretty holding a votive candle.


The red one would work well at Christmastime holding greenery and berries.


I'm thinking about making a couple more red ones and hanging three of them 
on the front porch of our cabin.
We have a red front door and I think they would be a different way to freshen up the porch
 and make it feel welcoming.


Here's our humble home.
My husband and I built this cabin. It took almost three years to complete.
You can read more about that story here.

Here is the red front door.


You could even use one as an alternative to a traditional wreath.


What would you use them for?
I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
They are available for sale in my Etsy shop here.
'til next time,
Adina
Linking to:

9 comments:

  1. I love these stars! I have enjoyed seeing them on Facebook. Your home is so lovely. Red front doors are one of my favorites. :-) Hope you have a super blessed weekend!

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thank you Sherri! I hope you have a wonderful weekend too :)

      Delete
  2. Your stars are cute either way! You buy the paint sticks at walmart? hmmm I had no idea. I'll have to check into that.

    Your home is so perfectly charming!

    gail
    ps I left you a message on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stars are cute either way! You buy the paint sticks at walmart? hmmm I had no idea. I'll have to check into that.

    Your home is so perfectly charming!

    gail
    ps I left you a message on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a star nut and just LOVE these! Can't decide which on is my favorite, the white or the red. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audra! I think I like the red one better, but I'm definitely torn too.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I've been following your website for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Houston Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!
    Cheap Deals in Melbourne

    ReplyDelete