Friday, August 1, 2014

How I Remedied an old Medicine Cabinet with Glass Etching

Well I did it.
I tried glass etching for the first time on the mirror of an old medicine cabinet.
 
Wow was it easy.
 
The hardest part was lining up the vinyl stencil,
it took me numerous tries to get it centered.
 
 

 
This is what the cabinet looked like when I brought it home from the flea market.
It had a poison remedy chart inside of it dated 1973,
so I'm guessing the cabinet is from that same time period.
 

 
 
My initial vision for this cabinet was just to clean it up and paint it.
So I did.
I took it apart, cleaned and sanded it, then painted it black.
 
It definitely looked better, but it was boring.
 
I'm not sure where the idea came from, but it came.
I could dress this cabinet up a little by etching the mirror with a first aid cross.
I debated adding the words FIRST AID or PHARMACY or REMEDIES
and finally decided on the word REMEDIES.
 
 
 
 
I created a stencil with my Silhouette Cameo using vinyl.
I'll admit I ruined three vinyl stencils by tearing them trying to
get them centered on the mirror.
 
After I finally got the word REMEDIES sort of lined up right I ran out of vinyl,
but I was anxious to get this done,
so I used clear contact paper to make the stencil for the cross
 
 
 
 
I used Armour Etch glass etching cream to create the design.
This was the easy part. 
I painted a thick coat of the etching cream over the stencils
 and let it sit for 60 seconds before rinsing it with luke warm water.
Then I peeled off the stencils and wiped the mirror off.
 

 
 
I put the cabinet back together using the original hinges and hardware.
It has two adjustable shelves and a beadboard back.
 
 
 
 
I really like how the whole cabinet turned out
and the etching definitely gives this old medicine cabinet some character.
 
 
 
 

 
 
Oh the glass etching ideas that are running through my mind now.
 
Have you ever done a glass etching project?
If so, what did you make?
 
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
 
 
Linking to:
My Repurposed Life
Knick of Time
Whats your Prodigal Piece

8 comments:

  1. adina i love this and i especially love your choice of the word remedies old fashioned love it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Old fashioned was exactly what I was going for :)

      Delete
  2. Great job ,- looks great!!

    Hope your weekend was happy :-).

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri! My weekend was happy, I hope yours was too :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Maureen. I really like how it turned out too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm visiting from My Salvaged Treasures. Remedies is the perfect word. Great re-do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Kathy and thanks for the compliment!

      Delete