Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Free Chair Turned into a Planter

Free is good right?
 
That's what I thought when I spotted an old chair outside of a thrift store with a sign that said FREE.
 
I kind of felt guilty taking it because I didn't purchase anything there that day,
but I had great plans for that chair and couldn't help myself.
 
 

I wanted to make it into a planter and it was the perfect chair for it.
It was missing the seat and it was already weathered.
 
 
 
 
I stapled a piece of old chicken wire into the seat area.
 

 
 
I tried to shape it into a bowl to hold the dirt.
 

 
 
Then I laid scrap pieces of burlap over the chicken wire to hold the dirt in
and also allow for water drainage.
 

 
 
Lastly, I added a pretty red verbena plant to match my red door.
 

 
 
Have you ever made a chair planter before?
 

 
 
If so, how did you make it?
I've seen so many different variations of chair planters.
To keep this simple and inexpensive, I used items I already had to make this one.
 
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
 
Linking to:
 

7 comments:

  1. Perfect! And, YES, free is awesome! That chair with the red flower is perfectly lovely for your front porch. <3

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea, I have 4 similar chairs right now and just may use your idea. Pinning for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. I'd love to see what you do with yours if you make one!

      Delete
  3. I have two in my garage right now that came from my grandmother's house and I just need the time to make them into planters. I love how simple and pretty yours is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennie. I love using pieces with family memories. I was just recently given my grandmothers picnic basket and I want to clean it up and use it inside to hold a plant.

      Delete
  4. So do just set the plant on the burlap and not in a pot?!

    ReplyDelete